Recently I got a new 'Sony VAIO W series' laptop as a gift from my Dad. It was looking very cute, just 10 inch screen. I was not happy only with two things. First - It don't have DVD Drive and Second - Still it is coming with Windows XP second edition (No Vista or Windows 7).
Anyway, lets come on to the topic. After 3-4 days, one virus attacked on my lappy and suddenly it stopped showing all the hidden files. Now what to do? I know that almost all the anti-virus program can remove this virus, but I don't have net connection and I am unable to update my antivirus program. Now whatever I have to do, I have to do it without antivirus program.
Solution I -
The first solution came in my mind was, restore my laptop with some days back.
Step(s) : Start -> My Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. And restore on the your selected date.
Solution II -
Since I knew that it is the perfect solution, so I was started some other solution for those people who don't know the exact date when their machine got virus affected. So I started playing with windows registry and got one new solution for this problem.
Step(s) :
Warning !!
You should take a back up of your current settings. You can make a restore point in system restore, or just open the registry and export the whole thing, or export some selected keys.
How to take back up of all registry entries : Start -> Run -> (type) regedit -> (rightclick on the little my computer icon, and export the whole thing.)
Go to Start -> Run -> regedit and Find this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced. Go to the rightside of the window, where the values are. Find the value "Hidden" . Rightclick it and modify it to 1(if it is 0 means you can see hidden files, it is 1 means you are hidding your hidden files and if it is any other number means it is affetced by Virus).
This next text is from my own registry. Copy it to notepad, then rename the notepad file, so it have the extension .reg ,and then doubleclick it.:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden]
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30499"
"Type"="group"
"Bitmap"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,\
00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,53,00,\
48,00,45,00,4c,00,4c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,34,00,00,\
00
"HelpID"="shell.hlp#51131"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\NOHIDDEN]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30501"
"Type"="radio"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000002
"ValueName"="Hidden"
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000002
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
"HelpID"="shell.hlp#51104"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30500"
"Type"="radio"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"ValueName"="Hidden"
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000002
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
"HelpID"="shell.hlp#51105"
That's all Folks!!! :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment